Mother’s Day is a time for cherished family gatherings and the celebration of women everywhere. With a history more unique than many people may be aware of, the authentic American Mother’s Day holiday got its true start back in 1870, with Julia Ward Howe’s Mother’s Day Proclamation. This proclamation was meant for mothers everywhere, and called upon them to join together and protest the carnage of the Civil War.
Howe called for an international celebration of peace and motherhood, but it wasn’t until 1908 that a US Senator from Nebraska proposed making Mother’s Day a national holiday, as requested by the YMCA.
In 1914, Woodrow Wilson designated the 2nd Sunday in May officially as Mother’s Day. From then on, the holiday gained steam and traditionally became a day to celebrate mothers across the nation, often by presenting them with flowers.
Mother’s Day Event Ideas
Dinners, brunches, and picnics, oh my! These are some of the most popular types of Mother’s Day celebrations in America. Those who shop in advance might present Mom with clothing, jewelry or a beautiful bouquet of flowers. But Mother’s Day doesn’t necessarily mean buying presents.
Often, the most important thing to Moms everywhere is simply spending time with their loved ones and families on Mother’s Day. Instead of taking Mom out, you can make a delicious dinner at her house.
Or, gather up your friends and their mothers, and start a community Mother’s Day picnic.
The idea is simple, but the rewards for making Mom feel appreciated and special on this day will be more than ample.
Events across the Nation
Mother’s Day events are taking place all over the country on May 12th. Now is the perfect time to plan your own event, or sign up to join one of the incredible events that we’ve listed here for you.
- Mother’s Day Brunch – Henry Ford’s private ballroom in Lovett Hall (Dearborn, MI)
- Mother’s Day Afternoon Tea – on the Veranda and in the Ballroom of the Jean Ellen DuPont Shehan Visitor Center (Coral Gables, FL)
- Mother’s Day Lunch or Dinner – at Joe’s Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab (Chicago, IL)
- Mother’s Day Cruise – the Hornblower Yacht Champagne Brunch Cruise OR the Flagship Brunch Cruise (San Diego, CA)
- Mother’s Day Weekend Garden Party – New York Botanical Garden (Bronx, New York)